AdoptOpenJDK binaries are available for download in the following types of installation package:
Windows MSI installer packages
AdoptOpenJDK Windows installer packages are available as standard .msi files, which can be run with an interactive user interface or run silently
from the command line. The installer is designed for use on a per-machine basis, not per-user basis, so you can have only one installation of the MSI
on a machine for all users.
Note: Windows installer packages are supported only on Windows x64 systems.
Instructions for running an interactive installation using the Windows MSI installer.
1. Download the .msi file. Open it to launch the installation program.
2. Read and accept the license if you are happy with the terms.
3. On the Custom Setup screen you can choose the features that you want to install and optionally change the default installation
directory. By default, AdoptOpenJDK installs to c:\Program Files\AdoptOpenJDK\<package> with the following features, which you can deselect, if necessary:
- Add the installation to the PATH environment variable
- Associate .jar files with Java applications
Additional features can be selected by clicking on the directory tree where you see a check mark (x). These features include:
- Updating the JAVA_HOME environment variable
- Installing IcedTea-Web (AdoptOpenJDK 8 only)
- Associate .jnlp files with the IcedTea-Web application (AdoptOpenJDK 8 only)
4. When you have chosen the features that you want to install, click Next.
5. Click Install to begin the installation.
6. When the installation is finished, click Finish to close the program.
A silent installation allows you to install the Windows package with pre-selected features without user interaction, which can be useful for widescale
deployment. Follow these steps:
1. Download the .msi file.
2. Choose the features that you want to install, which are shown in the following table:
||Core AdoptOpenJDK installation (DEFAULT)
||Update the PATH environment variable (DEFAULT)
||Associate .jar files with Java applications (DEFAULT)
||Update the JAVA_HOME environment variable
||Associate .jnlp files with IcedTea-web
||Updates registry keys HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\
Note: FeatureOracleJavaSoft can be used to prevent Oracle Java launching from PATH when AdoptOpenJDK is uninstalled. Reinstall Oracle Java if you need
to restore the Oracle registry keys.
Optional parameters can be used that group some of the features together:
3. Run the command on the target workstation.
The following example silently installs AdoptOpenJDK, updates the PATH, associates .jar files with Java applications and defines JAVA_HOME:
msiexec /i <package>.msi ADDLOCAL=FeatureMain,FeatureEnvironment,FeatureJarFileRunWith,FeatureJavaHome INSTALLDIR=c:\Program Files\AdoptOpenJDK\ /quiet
Note: You must use INSTALLDIR with FeatureMain.
The following example silently installs all the features for INSTALLLEVEL=1:
msiexec /i <package>.msi INSTALLLEVEL=1 /quiet
If you want to launch an interactive installation in another language you can use the Windows installer TRANSFORMS option to set
your language choice. For example, to set the UI language to German, use code 1031, which must be preceded by a :.
msiexec /i <package>.msi INSTALLLEVEL=1 TRANSFORMS=:1031
For a list of supported codes, see the Language list.
Reinstalling or upgrading
To reinstall AdoptOpenJDK in silent mode with default features, run the following command:
msiexec /i <package>.msi REINSTALL=ALL /quiet
If you want to upgrade AdoptOpenJDK in silent mode, run the following command:
msiexec /i <package>.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=amus /quiet
REINSTALLMODE options: (from Control Events)
- a: Force all files to be installed regardless of checksum or version
- m: Rewrite all required registry entries from the Registry Table that go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- o: Reinstall if the file is missing or is an older version
- u: Rewrite all required registry entries from the Registry Table that go to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_USERS
- s: Reinstall all shortcuts and re-cache all icons overwriting any existing shortcuts or icons
Note: REINSTALL=ALL automatically sets REINSTALLMODE=omus
Upgrading .msi files works only for the first 3 digits of the build number due to an MSI limitation:
- Upgrading 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11 works.
- Upgrading 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124 does not work. Uninstall the previous .msi and install the new one.
- Upgrading 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52 works.
- Upgrading 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11 does not work. AdoptOpenJDK does not provide upgrades for major versions. Either keep both installations or uninstall the older one.